Christie McGlashan Memorial Bursary
Available to Coastal FC players in their graduating year of high school
This scholarship was created in 1992 in the memory of Christie McGlashan. Christie was a bright and talented U11 player with Semiahmoo Soccer Club who lost her life in a tragic car accident while on her way to soccer practice. Initially begun as a single scholarship, the Club expanded the number of scholarships granted to include those graduating from U18 who meet the eligibility criteria below.
To qualify for this Scholarship, you must:
- Have been a Coastal FC member in good standing a minimum of five consecutive years, with the last year being U18. Note: exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis by the Club’s directors for special circumstances. For example, where the Club did not field a team at the U18 level of play appropriate to the applicant.
- Submit a letter application in accordance with the Application Procedure below.
- Attend a post-secondary education or training institution by April 1 within 12 months of the year of application.
- You (and not your parents) must provide an email or letter stating your eligibility for this bursary and a brief description of your experience(s) with Coastal FC (and its predecessor clubs).
- Email applications should be sent to the Club’s Membership Services Coordinator (email@example.com).
- Letters should be sent to Coastal FC PO BOX 75343 RPO White Rock Surrey, B.C. V4A 0B1 and include a return address.
- Application deadline is the end of day on March 31 of the applicant’s graduating season.
- By making your application, you agree to the publishing of your name for purposes of announcing successful bursary applicants and anonymous excerpts from your application on the Club’s website.
You will be contacted via email regarding the success of your application, and will be requested to attend the Club’s annual Awards Night to receive your scholarship certificate.
- Once you are enrolled at your post-secondary education or training institution, you need to mail a copy of your tuition receipt or equivalent confirmation of attendance to Coastal FC PO BOX 75343 RPO White Rock Surrey, B.C. V4A 0B1. This payment request needs to clearly show your name and mailing address.
- A cheque for $350 will be issued by the Club within approximately four weeks to you and mailed to the address provided in the payment request. Scholarship payment eligibility will expire April 1 in the year following the year of application.
BC Soccer Scholarships
BC Soccer also recognizes its soccer community with annual scholarships and awards. For details, visit BC Soccer’s website.